Sunday 12 January 2014

Mad As A March Hare

My most recent painting finished this morning. I've been inspired to paint hares recently, there are many in the countryside around our village. In the spring they lose their shyness and can be seen all day on the chalk hillsides, cavorting and leaping or standing on their hind legs and boxing. True mad March hares.
 
Gouache on canvas board.

Lepus europaeus
 

 
Until recently it was thought that the 'boxing' was between the males, either in territorial disputes or competeing for females. In truth the larger more robust animal proves to be the doe, and the sparring matches to be her fighting of unwanted attention. When she is receptive she instigates the bucks to chase her, in a test of fitness and endurance.
Painted in gouache, a medium I have not used much but I am pleased with the results. It is more robust than watercolour but still retains some opacity. I always try to use a limited palette and mix my colours. I think I will be painting more hares ...


No comments:

Post a Comment